Although no two estates follow the exact same path through the probate process, there are some common steps, including:
- Identifying, locating, securing, and valuing estate assets
- Opening probate – usually in the county in which the decedent was a resident at the time of death.
- Notifying creditors that probate is underway.
- Reviewing creditor claims and approving or denying each claim.
- Calculating and paying any state and/or federal tax due.
- Transferring the remaining assets to the intended beneficiaries/heirs of the estate.